Short Stories

The short stories published on this page are by Year 5/6T students. We hope you enjoy reading them. Please leave encouraging and positive comments.

We Were Born to Love Not Hate

As the words flood through my ears and circle around my brain my eyes fill with tears. Delicate light, water drops flood down my face like a waterfall. My family tries to help, they’ve talked to teachers and principals but nothing works. I hate my life, I hate this. Bullying is so disgusting. Why do people tease its mean and unnecessary?

The school bell rings and rude teenagers shove by me like lions fighting over meat. People point and laugh at me they yell rude comments. I feel like I’m going to explode with rage but something keeps  back the soft delicate tears inside me put out the fire and now a new emotion is about to explode. I run to the toilets as fast as I can and press the soft white tissues on my face. It doesn’t work I sob and sob nothing can stop these tears. I scream and cry I repeat the never ending question Why? Why? Why? Why?

I rush home. Home is the one place where I can be me. Maybe they don’t like my image or because I don’t bully people like them. These thoughts repeat in my head I feel dizzy my head starts to spin I’m so confused. My eyes slowly start to shut. I wake “I’ve got it.” I grab as many clothes of mine as I can and… burn them. I steal my mum’s money and I don’t even regret it. I go shopping for new clothes. I spend hundreds of dollars on getting makeup and getting my hair done. I look in the mirror ‘This isn’t me, this isn’t who I am!’ I moan ‘but I know what I have to do.’

A new day, but this is no ordinary day this is an extraordinary day. I put on my fashionable makeup and I braid my hair like the popular kids. I arrive at school and start to walk around. People stare at me like an eagle watching its prey. The popular kids stride over getting closer and closer, my heart stops beating but then I release a sigh. This time I’m the one saying rude comments and making other kids feel bad. But if this is what it takes to stop getting bullied I’ll do it. Finally, home isn’t the only place where I can be myself. I stop and wait; I slowly start to whisper to myself. ‘Yes it is the only place where I can be myself because this isn’t me.’ My shoulders shrug and my eyes close. I run home realising all the things I’ve done. Tears flood down my face my lips drop my eyes close. I rip all my clothes I remove the make-up off my ever saddening face. ‘What’s happened to me?’

Stop the hate! When you bully people they think there’s something wrong with them or their image and try to change or even do worse. I know many victims of bullying and it’s horrible. We were born to love and make friends, we were not born to hate or bully. So stop today so that we will have a better future and stop before someone gets hurt.

Live I Will

My heart is beating a thousand times a minute. My chest feels like I have twenty bricks stacked on it. I cannot breathe as mum rushes me to the hospital. Again, not again!

Minutes run into hours, hours run into days, days run into weeks but I am barely aware. I wake up to see people surrounding me, balloons, teddy bears and nurses. I can’t believe I’m here again, all of my friends get to go shopping on the weekends but not me. Because I’m always so sick, I have to spend my spare time in the hospital. I have a heavy mask on my face and tubes running up my nose. I hear beeping. Suddenly people rush my bed into another room, but this room is scarier. “Bye honey!” mum yells while sobbing. What is happening is my last thought as blackness envelopes me.

Nurses are rushing around me. I see nurses and doctors with machines and stethoscopes in their hands. I pass out. As I wake  I’m screaming, the agony the pain. Tears roll down my cheeks like a waterfall. Mum is holding my hand. I can’t hold my eyes open any longer. I suddenly can’t move, I blink. The blackness is back. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

JJ,JJ—JJ,JJ—JJ,JJ. Slowly I open my eyes, they flutter trying to stay open. I see nurses with red faces, family and friends with teary eyes and even redder faces. I start to cry, they stop resuscitating me.

I still have pains in my chest, I still find it hard to breathe. I have no hair, thankyou chemo, and a weak heart, thankyou cancer. This is just something I have to live with. And live I will!

The Big Bad Wolf.

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle! I hear a noise from the bushes. A huge, dark, shadow leaps from the bushes. It slowly pounces towards me. I stand still shivering like a man in Antarctica wearing only shorts. It sniffs my leg and then slowly turns its head up to me. The beast shows its sharp, shiny, teeth and at the same time growls. “AARRGGHH!” I screech in horror. The blood thirsty beast’s ears can’t stand my scream and it places its paws over its well-adapted ears. While the beast is down, I swiftly make a run for it, but there’s no point, Wolves are professional runners in the thick snow compared to a little helpless boy. Pounce! His sharp claws dig into my back and I then fall on the ground. The fierce monster then turns me onto my back like a spider hunting a cricket. We’re both face to face like arch enemies the only difference is I’m completely terrified and the wolf is angry and hungry. Its breath smells horrible; I think a pig wouldn’t even stand it. The monster’s teeth are sharp; I think that nothing has ever dulled them. A huge, disgusting jelly like blob of slobber makes its way into my mouth. The nasty blob tastes so disgusting, just what I imagine my little brothers snot would be like. Then the monster turns its head, a shape leaping happily through the forest like a little girl skipping through a field of flowers. Thankfully, it chases after the leaping shadow. Rattle, Rattle, Rattle! Now all the bushes that are surrounding me are rattling like rattle snakes with dark shapes jumping out of them. The dark shadows form a circle and are slowly walking around me, wolves circling prey. BEEP BEEP BEEP! A loud noise rushes through the forest. All the monsters sprint away like deer escaping a huge lion. The noise rushed towards me and stops two metres in front of me.

“Breakfast.”

“Mum!” I screech.